Mr. Gaille is the Founder of the Gaille Group and currently serves as the Chief Compliance Officer & General Counsel for ZaZa Energy Corporation (NASDAQ: ZAZA). As the chief legal officer for ZaZa, he is responsible for the corporation’s transactional, securities, litigation and regulatory matters. Mr. Gaille also is an Adjunct Professor of Management at Rice University, where he teaches International Energy Development to MBA students, and a Lecturer in Law at The University of Chicago Law School, where he teaches the Energy Law Seminar.
Previously, Mr. Gaille was Director - Business Development for Occidental Oil & Gas Corporation from July, 2004 to August, 2007. His responsibilities there included starting and growing new business units in Africa, the Middle East and South America. Prior to joining Oxy’s legal department in 2001, Mr. Gaille practiced law with the Energy Section of Vinson & Elkins and with the Honorable Chief Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson, III of the United States Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, where he served as Judicial Clerk during the Court’s 1995-1996 judicial term.
Mr. Gaille was an Olin Fellow in Law and Economics at the University of Chicago, where he received his Doctor of Law Degree with High Honors in 1995. He was elected to Order of the Coif and to The University of Chicago Law Review and served as Executive Editor of the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy (Vol. 18, No. 2). Through various economic workshops at the University of Chicago, Mr. Gaille participated in the analysis of certain issues with Nobel Laureates Ronald Coase and Gary Becker, and worked as a research assistant to The Honorable Judge Richard Posner of the United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit. Mr. Gaille attended undergraduate college at the University of Texas at Austin, where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Government with High Honors and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
Mr. Gaille is the author of five books and several articles, including:
• Shale Energy Development (Textbook, 2014);
• International Energy Development (Textbook, 2011);
• “The ABA Task Force Report on the Future of Legal Education: The Role of Adjunct Professors and Practical Education in the Energy Sector” (Energy Law Journal 2014);
• “Mitigating the Resource Curse: A Proposal for a Microfinance and Educational Lending Royalty” (Energy Law Journal 2011);
• “The Allocation of International Petroleum Licenses to National Oil Companies: Insights from the Coase Theorem” (Energy Law Journal 2010);
• “The Use of Quantity Terms to Improve Efficiency and Stability in International Gas Sales & Purchase Agreements” (Energy Law Journal 2008);
• “Publishing by U.S. Court of Appeals Judges: Before and After the Bork Hearings”, 26 Journal of Legal Studies 371 (University of Chicago 1997);
• The Camel Spider (Novel, 2013)
• The Unmerciful Lawyer (Novel, 2010), which was a Quarter Finalist for the Amazon-Penguin Breakthrough Novel Award; and
• The Law Review (Novel, 2001).
Scott serves on the Board of Trustees and the Finance Committee for the Houston Grand Opera and is a Life Member of the National Eagle Scout Association. Having traveled to more than 100 countries and lived in Dubai, United Arab Emirates for three years, Mr. Gaille has built business relationships with a culturally diverse range of partners from around the globe.